In Two Hours or Two Days!
- Walk south along Bridgeway from the center of town for scenic photographs fresh air and exercise. Take in all the sights and sounds – the seals frolicking in the bay (including the famous sealion statue) and the SF skyline as well as the Mediterranean hillside above the waterfront. Go as far Swede’s Beach via the wooden boardwalk and the legendary Sally Stanford’s former establishment on the southern most corner
- Walk back to town and browse through the art galleries and boutiques, including the hidden alley on Princess Street, Princess Court
You are so close ….
Sausalito puts visitors in striking distance of Muir Woods with it’s giant redwoods, the scenic West Marin coast (Stinson Beach is only 30 minutes away) and the world renown Napa and Sonoma wine country (1 hour away). With Sausalito as your base camp you can day-trip to all these popular destinations.
HALF DAY – 4 HOURS
Add the following to the 2-hour itinerary:
- From the center of town – across from Vina del Mar Park where the elephants stand guard over the beautiful fountain – walk up the Excelsior stairs for a panoramic view of the harbor and bay
- Walk north to Caledonia Street where the locals shop and visit the galleries and boutiques and jewelry designers that cannot be found any place else such as Adele Giliani Art Gallery, Tivoli Décor, Pine Street Natural Interiors – Eco-Terric, Katya Glass Jewelry and Studio 333 Boutique & Gallery
- Catch an espresso or cappuccino at one of the sidewalk cafes in the area – such as Sausalito Equator, Firehouse Coffees & Teas, Taste of Rome or Venice Gourmet and watch the world go by while you catch your breath
- Wander back towards the center of town and sample some California fine wine at one of our wine tasting establishments – Bacchus & Venus and Real Napa or enjoy the distinct flavors of Hanson of Sonoma Distillery Tasting Room surrounded by Hanson Gallery Fine Art
Toast your half day by the bay!
In addition to the itineraries previously noted:
- Visit historic Fort Baker at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge – and take the kids to the Discovery Museum and The Marine Mammal Center for a few hours of educational entertainment and breathtaking views – dine and drink on the deck at Cavallo Point, outside Farley savoring the same stunning views
- Tour the Bay Model Visitor Center – a 1.5 acre 3-D, working hydraulic model of the San Francisco Bay & Sacramento Delta waterways
- Catch a Golden Gate Transit bus or Sausalito Taxi going north to the floating home community at the far end of town – wander the docks admiring this legendary collection of houseboats
- Tour Heath Ceramics – a Sausalito landmark for over 50 years and one of the few remaining mid-century American potteries still in existence; take home some of their famous tableware
- Kayak the Bay with SeaTrek and see Sausalito from the Bay or take a Seaplane ride with Seaplane Adventures above and around some of the most spectacular scenery in the world
- Tour back to the center of town and enjoy an early dinner at one of Sausalito’s waterfront restaurants and catch the last ferry boat back to the City, or continue your travels by car
- Take an historic wooden boat tour, a gourmet wine and food tour, rent a kayak or book a boat tour with SF Bay Adventures, aboard Schooner Freda B, Shanutski or enjoy a seaplane ride Finish your evening at one of the many music venues in Sausalito including, No Name, Osteria Divino, Seahorse, Taste of Rome or The Trident – or grab a nightcap at one of the local’s favorite hangout Smitty’s Bar
You’ll have time to savor even more local activities!
- Settle into one of Sausalito’s signature overnight accommodations – choose from The Gables Inn, a Victorian bed & breakfast, Casa Madrona Hotel & Spa, an historic landmark, The Gables Inn, Hotel Sausalito on Vina del Mar Park, The Inn Above Tide built over the Bay or Cavallo Point Resort at Fort Baker
- Catch breakfast and an espresso at a downtown outdoor café where locals and visitors mingle to start the day – Poggio Trattoria, Sausalito Equator or Taste of Rome
- Visit an array of interesting galleries with everything from investment fine art, vintage to whimsical creations at Bubble Street Gallery, Galerie Elektra, Gallery Sausalito, Hanson Gallery, Scrimshaw Gallery and Studio 333 Downtown
- Book a spa treatment to pamper and/or restore your energy at one of the full service spas in town
- Enjoy our Wine and Caviar Tasting Rooms right here while you visit our beautiful city! Hanson of Sonoma Distillery Tasting Room is in the heart of downtown, come enjoy the spectacular views of the Bay and explore the extensive art collection of Hanson Fine Art Gallery. Enjoy the best caviar in the USA at California Caviar Company! Book a reservation in their Bump Bar Tasting Room located on Bridgeway. Experience California Wine Country in downtown Sausalito with a view of the Bay at Bacchus & Venus Wine Tasting Room
- Real Napa offers hand crafted wines with a host of daily essentials to experience the Wine Country with a San Francisco view.
- Gourmet Food & Wine Tours experts will take you on a culinary experience of Sausalito’s downtown village with colorful, renowned restaurants and optional wine. Walking tour is interspersed with culinary delights with delicious bites of local history.
- Dine in the center of town one night and then at one of Sausalito’s famous eateries – Angelino Restaurant, Poggio Trattoria, Sushi Ran, The Spinnaker or Zalta – for more casual dining atmosphere Copita, Seafood Peddler, Salsalito, Saylor’s Restaurant & Bar and Salito’s Crab House